DIY Chicken Keeping from Fresh Eggs Daily: 40+ Projects for the Coop, Run, Brooder, and More! (Paperback)
Build a better life for your chickens! Join Lisa Steele, chicken keeper extraordinaire and founder of Fresh Eggs Daily, to learn how to build just about everything you might need for your coop, run, or farmhouse kitchen. Whether you're a DIY novice looking for an easy win or a more experienced builder looking for chicken-specific projects, you've come to the right place!
The chapters are packed with a variety of ideas, covering every skill level:
- The Basics: Lisa will tell you what tools you absolutely need, the ins and outs of pallets, and a few special skills, like how to transfer lettered designs to wood.
- Quick and Easy Projects: Get started with projects that take minutes or hours, not days! From a decorative cutting board coop sign and paned window coop mirror to more functional projects like a clothespin herb drying rack and dropping board, you're sure to find the right starter project.
- Handy Projects: Ready to take on a slightly more challenging build? Try the removable coop ladder roost, boot tree stand, feed dolly, chick-sized jungle gym, or chicken-proof herb garden.
- Pallet Projects: What's better than DIY projects? DIY projects made from free wood! Use pallets in all forms (whole, partial, and boards) for the projects in this chapter. Make a coop tool holder, chick roosting bar, swinging bench, feeding station, coop shutters, compost bin, and so much more.
- Weekend Projects: More time doesn't necessarily mean frustrating or too difficult. The ambitious, yet easy-to-follow, projects in this chapter include a sliding barn coop door, a-frame integration pen, and a roadside egg stand.
About the Author
Lisa Steele is a fifth-generation chicken keeper and creator of Fresh Eggs Daily, the go-to online resource for poultry-keeping advice, which has been named one of Better Homes & Gardens Top Ten Gardening Blogs. Lisa has amassed an audience of nearly one million from all over the globe, who look to her for tips on raising backyard chickens naturally, do-it-yourself ideas, and coop-to-kitchen recipes.
Dubbed “queen of the coop” by the media, Lisa and her work have been recognized by many national media outlets, including the Wall Street Journal, USA Today, Country Woman, Parade, and others. As a television and radio personality, Lisa has appeared on the Hallmark Channel’s Home & Family, Martha Knows Best on HGTV, P. Allen Smith’s Garden Home, and NPR’s Maine Calling. She has hosted the New England regional Emmy-nominated television show Welcome to My Farm for two seasons.
Lisa’s first book was recommended for summer reading on The View in 2018, and her popular books have sold more than 125,000 copies. Lisa lives in the woods of Maine with her husband, their corgi, barn cat, and her “girls”—a mixed flock of about thirty chickens, ducks, and geese.