20 Most Asked Questions about the Amish and Mennonites (Paperback)
NOT on our Shelf. Order now!
Sensitively answers the most common inquiries about Amish and Mennonite peoples. Authoritative, sympathetic, and thorough. 20 Most Asked Questions looks at origins, dress, pacifism, education, weddings, funerals, and food, as well as many other facets of Amish and Mennonite life. This book has sold more than 200,000 copies.
1. What is the difference between the Amish and the Mennonites?
2. When and how did these people get started?
3. Are they a Christian group or do they represent a different religion?
4. Aren’t they a bit naive and backward? Why don’t they accept modern things?
5. Does anyone ever join them? Does anyone ever leave?
6. Why do they dress that way?
7. Is it true they don’t go to war?
8. Why are they against education?
9. Why are they such good farmers?
10. Why don’t they pay Social Security taxes?
11. Do any of the Amish or Mennonite groups believe in missions?
12. What are their weddings like?
13. How are their women and children treated?
14. Is food a part of their religion?
15. Do they go to doctors and hospitals?
16. What about burial?
17. Don’t they believe in having fun?
18. What are some of their problems?
19. Are they growing or dying in number?
20. What, in fact, holds them together?
About the Author
Phyllis Good is a New York Times bestselling author whose books have sold more than 12 million copies. She is the original author of the Fix-It and Forget-It cookbook series, Lancaster Central Market Cookbook, Favorite Recipes with Herbs, and The Best of Amish Cooking. Her commitment is to make it possible for everyone to cook who would like to, whatever their age. Good spends her time writing, editing books, and cooking new recipes. She lives in Lancaster, Pennsylvania.