A Basic Introduction to Biblical Hebrew [With CDROM] (Hardcover)
Linguistics expert and long-time educator Hackett offers a robust introduction to biblical Hebrew grammar and the Masoretic text. The graded exercises from Hebrew to English are intended to introduce the student to the many possibilities of biblical Hebrew prose. Later lessons include texts taken from the Masoretic text of the Old Testament with footnotes to explain unusual or advanced formations. Classroom tested and suitable for self-study as well, this quick-moving one-semester course (30 lessons) features clear, readable explanations, exercises, and examples that provide students with an effective foundation in original language usage. This textbook is also suitable for an entire first-year's study of Biblical Hebrew conducted at a slower pace.
Course work includes an overview of the history of the Hebrew Bible; deductive lessons on recognition, drawing, and pronunciation of consonants and vowels; memorization and recitation of the alphabet; and proper spelling of words; as well inductive experience in translating biblical passages.
The accompanying CD includes:
- Vocabulary lists for each of the 30 chapters
- Hebrew-to-English portions of exercises for all chapters
- Major paradigms for the whole book (nouns, pronouns, verbs in all their various
- A reading of Genesis 22:1-19 (Appendix C)
- Vocabulary lists
- Printable Hebrew-to-English exercises
- Appendix A: Consonants of Biblical Hebrew
- Appendix B: Vowels of Biblical Hebrew
- Appendix C: Genesis 22:1-19 (conversationally paced reading)
- Appendix D: Chart and flow sheet for finding the root of weak verbs
- Verbal paradigms
- Complete answer key for English-to-Hebrew and Hebrew-to English exercises
Excellent textbook for students who wish to progress beyond using simple reference works and ideal for those who wish to read the Hebrew Bible deeply, widely, and accurately, as well as for any who wish to pursue advanced studies in the Hebrew Scriptures.